THE IMPORTANCE OF STAYING
HYDRATED AFTER BARIATRIC SURGERY
Importance of Post-Surgery Hydration
Water is an essential part of life. It helps to eliminate waste and hydrate the skin, hair, and the cells. Post surgery hydration helps to sustain cell functions, which has a huge impact on the healing process. It is advisable for weight loss surgery patients to consume an average of about eighty to one hundred ounces of fluid daily. Failure of this could cause readmission to the hospital. If you experience any of the following signs, then you need to increase your intake of fluids:
- Dark color of urine
- Lightheadedness and dizziness
- Dry mouth and skin
Tips of Staying Hydrated Post Bariatric Surgery
- Refrain from consuming carbonated drinks. Carbonated drinks tend to cause discomfort by stretching out the stomach. This bloating and discomfort is bound to send any bariatric surgery patient back to the hospital.
- Limit your intake of sugary drinks such as fruit juices. Alternatively, stick to drinks that contain a maximum of five calories within every eight ounce
- Sustain water intake of up to sixty-four to ninety-six ounces
- Refrain from consuming water during meals. This is because the water flushes down the food, thus interfering with the digestion process
- Limit your water consumption thirty-minutes before meals. This will prevent you from affecting your appetite by creating a satiating feeling.
- Try to consume water slowly with small sips.
- You could try including your favorite fruits into your water. The commonly infused fruits include berries, watermelon, peaches, oranges, limes, and lemons.
- Purchase a reliable water bottle and carry it everywhere. This will encourage you to keep taking water at any time during the day.
- Remind yourself to drink water during the day. Thirst should be the sole motivation of the consumption of water. Try to force yourself to drink water throughout the day. You could set a reminder after every fifteen minutes to consume a certain amount of water.
- Observe your urine to make sure that it has the right color pigment. A darker urine color signifies dehydration. Make sure that you have clear urine for a period of about five to ten times a day.
- Take about half an hour to an hour period after your meal, before resuming your water intake.
- Refrain from including fatty or calorie-filled additives to your tea or coffee.