Pureed Foods – Phase 3 of Bariatric Surgery Post-Op Diet
Do not let the term ‘pureed’ turn you off because there is a variety of foods that you can choose from that are not only high in protein, but they will also blend well to a smooth paste or a thick liquid consistency minus any solid pieces of food in the mixture.
Your advances in the diet and the timing for which you should start Phase 3 is important and Phase 3 food choices must not be attempted before. These foods play an important role in helping the system to heal and gradually adjust to more dense foods.
Therefore, Phase 3 foods need to be foods that are easily tolerated and pureed, in addition to this, fluids or water should not be taken at the same time with the pureed foods because fluids tend to push the foods through the stomach pouch too fast only to make room for more food. A general guideline is to wait about 30 minutes after a meal to drink fluids.
Here are foods that can be introduced in Phase 3:
● Pureed beef, chicken, turkey, pork, fish (blend twice while dry, then add broth)
● Fat-free or low-fat refried beans
● Pureed lentils and peas
● Fat-free or low-fat ricotta cheese
● Canned tuna or chicken mashed with a fork
● Mashed potatoes
● Pureed fruit, such as no sugar added applesauce
● Cooked and mashed vegetables
● Baby food
While you’re in the pureed food stage, you can still consume all the foods that were included in both the clear-liquids and Protein stages. While you may find that you are more satisfied during this stage. You must make sure to take in enough fluid each day. You must drink at least 64 ounces of fluids every day.
Phase 3 Diet Instructions:
- You must be careful to drink enough fluids to avoid dehydration
- Liquefied sources of protein should be taken 7 days after the clear liquids diet period
- You must have protein shakes between one and three times a day to meet your protein target
- Pay extra attention to signs that you feel hungry or full and stop when you feel nauseated
- Sip your fluids slowly from a medicine cup to keep unwanted air into the stomach and drink only 1 – 2 ounces at a time
- Chew all your meals thoroughly before swallowing
- Ask the hospital to provide you with swab to moisten your mouth with when you experience dry mouth
- All foods should be pureed with water, fat-free milk, or fat-free broth to an apple sauce consistency
- All multivitamins should be in chewable or liquid form and must be taken every day in order to prevent nutrient deficiencies
- Your daily intake of protein should be about 60-70gm from protein shakes, egg whites, pureed meat and fish including 8 glasses of clear liquids