Fans are shocked by Ashley Graham’s appearance. She has always proudly served as a plus sized model for various publications, but she has recently undergone massive weight loss that has people stumped. Nobody knows exactly how she has lost weight, but people speculate that it has been either the trendy drug, Ozempic, or weight loss surgery.
Ashley Graham is an American model and television presenter. She has gained most of her recognition by modeling for the plus-size industry. She is a strong advocate for body positivity and inclusivity in the fashion industry. She appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue in 2016 which was quite the milestone for any model – especially plus-sized.
Throughout her career, Graham has been featured in various fashion magazines and has worked with numerous fashion brands. She has also ventured into television, appearing as a host and judge in reality TV shows related to fashion and modeling. Her influence extends beyond modeling, as she is known for speaking out on issues such as body image, self-acceptance, and female empowerment.
Ashley Graham’s Battle With Weight
Ashley Graham, a well-known model and body positivity advocate, has been open about her experiences with body image, weight, and the fashion industry. Graham, who is celebrated for breaking barriers in the modeling industry as a plus-size model, has often spoken about the importance of self-acceptance and loving one’s body regardless of its size or shape.
Her journey has not been without struggles. She has faced criticism and pressure from various quarters about her weight and body shape. Despite this, Graham has consistently promoted a message of self-love and confidence. She has been a vocal critic of unrealistic beauty standards in the fashion industry and has worked to promote diversity and inclusivity in fashion and media.
Graham’s approach to weight and body image is more focused on health and well-being rather than conforming to traditional standards of beauty. She has shared her experiences with various forms of exercise and healthy eating, emphasizing the importance of feeling good in one’s body rather than achieving a specific weight or size.
Graham has gone through ups and downs with her weight due to various events in her life including pregnancy. Although Graham preaches body positivity, she admits that she doesn’t practice what she preaches sometimes. She told Today, “Because even as a body advocate, I’ve learned it’s okay if the journey to love the skin you’re in is more complex than you could ever have imagined,” Graham shared. “Even now, if I’m completely honest, I go in waves. I am still not entirely comfortable in my body, no matter my own body positivity advocacy.”
Ashley Graham is usually 5’10 and about 200lbs. When she was pregnant with the twins she gained a little over 50 pounds. During postpartum she was able to lose 30 pounds and admitted that she was struggling getting the extra 20 pounds off.
However, she all of a sudden lost the extra weight plus some very quickly, which is why fans are suspecting she got a little bit of help through weight loss surgery or Ozempic.
Why is Ashley Graham Considered a Plus Size Model?
Ashley Graham is considered a plus-size model primarily due to the standards and categorizations prevalent in the fashion industry. In the modeling world, “plus-size” typically refers to models who are larger than the industry standard for mainstream fashion models. This standard has historically been quite narrow, often favoring models who are under a certain size, which is usually much smaller than the average size of women in the general population.
A few key points to understand why Ashley Graham is categorized as plus-size:
- Industry Standards: The fashion industry has specific size ranges for categorizing models. Traditionally, female models who wear a size 8 or above in the US (which can be around size 12 or above in the UK) are often considered plus-size. Ashley Graham, who has publicly mentioned wearing sizes that fall into this range, is therefore classified as plus-size within the industry.
- Contrast with ‘Straight-Size’ Models: The term ‘straight-size’ refers to models who fit into the standard sizing (often around 0-2 US) used in high fashion. Since Graham does not fit into this category, she is labeled as plus-size.
- Body Positivity and Representation: Graham has been a prominent figure in the body positivity movement, advocating for the inclusion and representation of diverse body types in the fashion industry. Her identification as a plus-size model is not just about her size; it’s also about challenging the industry’s narrow beauty standards and promoting a more inclusive definition of beauty.
- Public Perception: The public and media also play a role in this categorization. Graham’s visibility as a model who does not conform to traditional modeling sizes has made her a symbol of diversity and inclusivity in fashion, further solidifying her identity as a plus-size model.
What Do People Have to Say About Her Weight Loss?
Some people are a little frustrated that she has lost so much weight, because they feel like she is no longer plus-size. Since she has become smaller, many of her unwavering fans don’t feel as seen and as heard as they once did. They feel somewhat abandoned.
One of the biggest things that Graham has had to deal with ever since her rapid weight loss is the overwhelming criticism and accusations of how she lost so much weight. There have been a lot of speculations and accusatory claims that she either had some sort of bariatric surgery, or she used Ozempic.
Either way, we should not be putting shame on somebody who is using Ozempic or weight loss surgery to help them reach their weight loss goals. If Graham wanted to lose weight and she was able to obtain her dreams then shouldn’t her fans be celebrating her success as opposed to dismissing her achievements?
Weight Loss of Ashley Graham is Unknown
It is important to state that we have no evidence as to why and how Ashley Graham has lost so much weight. We don’t know if it is Ozempic, a weight loss surgery, or merely diet & exercise.
What is Ozempic?
Ozempic, with the generic name semaglutide, is a medication primarily prescribed for the management of type 2 diabetes. It belongs to a class of drugs known as GLP-1 receptor agonists. Ozempic functions by mimicking the action of the glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1), a hormone that plays a crucial role in blood sugar regulation. When administered, it enhances the body’s insulin production in response to high blood sugar levels, particularly after eating. Additionally, Ozempic slows down gastric emptying, which contributes to better blood sugar control.
Apart from its primary use in diabetes management, Ozempic has gained attention for its weight loss effects. It can reduce appetite and food intake, leading to significant weight loss in some individuals.
Since Ozempic can be quite expensive (hundreds of dollars a month) it has gained most of its popularity in the celebrity industry where people are able to obtain the drug and are able to afford it on a regular basis.
What is Weight Loss Surgery?
Weight loss surgery, also known as bariatric surgery, refers to a variety of surgical procedures performed on people who are obese, with the goal of achieving significant weight loss. This is typically considered for individuals who have not achieved long-term weight loss success through other means, such as diet and exercise, and are facing serious health risks due to obesity.
The most common types of weight loss surgery include:
- Gastric Bypass (Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass): This procedure involves creating a small pouch at the top of the stomach. The small pouch is then connected directly to the middle portion of the small intestine (jejunum), bypassing the rest of the stomach and the upper portion of the small intestine (duodenum). This reduces the amount of food the stomach can hold and decreases the absorption of nutrients.
- Gastric Sleeve: In this procedure, a portion of the stomach is removed to create a smaller, tube-like stomach, or “sleeve.” This limits the amount of food that can be consumed and reduces the production of the hunger hormone ghrelin.
- Adjustable Gastric Banding: This involves placing an inflatable band around the upper portion of the stomach, creating a small stomach pouch above the band with the rest of the stomach below. The size of the opening between the two can be adjusted by filling the band with saline, which is injected through a port placed under the skin.
- Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch (BPD/DS): This is a more complex procedure that removes a large portion of the stomach and bypasses a significant portion of the small intestine. It significantly limits food intake and nutrient absorption.
Weight loss surgery can lead to significant improvements in obesity-related conditions, such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, and sleep apnea. However, it also carries risks and requires lifelong changes in eating habits, diet, and lifestyle to ensure its success and avoid complications. It’s important for individuals considering this surgery to discuss thoroughly with healthcare professionals to understand the benefits, risks, and necessary lifestyle changes.
Could Her Weight Loss Be Attributed to Diet & Exercise?
Graham has not come out and admitted to partaking any type of Semaglutide product, or undergoing weight loss surgery. She has, however, been extremely open about her weight loss journey through diet and exercise. Although fans believe that she most certainly has healthy routines, but due to the quick nature of her weight loss, people believe that she had additional help.
However, we will not spread rumors about her weight loss since we don’t know for sure! Graham claims that her rapid and massive weight loss is due to a combination of diet and intense exercise.
Here is what her routine looks like:
- Healthy Diet: Ashley Graham’s diet includes healthy fats, lean protein, vegetables, and fresh fruit. She starts her day with scrambled eggs and has recently cut out gluten, opting for gluten-free bread. She also prefers dairy-free products like oat milk and dairy-free butter.
- Exercise Routine: Ashley Graham has been known to engage in a dedicated fitness routine. She has flaunted her curves in gym videos, revealing workouts that have contributed to her major weight loss. Her workout routine includes a mix of cardio and strength training exercises. She’s been working with the same trainer, Kira Stokes, and her routine is based on high-intensity interval training (HIIT) cardio to lose fat.
- Balanced Approach: Her weight loss journey is described as a blend of health-conscious choices and occasional indulgence. This balanced approach to diet and exercise has been key in her journey.
- Public Sharing: Ashley Graham has been open about her fitness journey on social media platforms like Instagram, where she shares her workout routines and challenges.
According to her, she has been working really hard in the gym and focusing on healthy eating in order to lose as much weight as she has! No matter how she has lost weight, we are so proud of her and celebrate her accomplishments!
Ashley Graham’s Modeling Career
There is no one definition of a plus sized model. Some industries say that anybody over a size 4 is considered plus-sized, while other industries say that if you fit in a size 12 then you are considered plus-sized. Ashley Graham losing weight might eventually impede on her success as a model, if she loses plus-size status then she will have to begin competing with much smaller models.
As of right now, Sports Illustrated has not changed Graham’s status and she is still being considered a plus-size model for their company. They have no plans on changing her title. However, that might change if she continues to lose weight at the rate she is at right now.
Here Major Contributions in the Modeling Industry
Ashley Graham, as a prominent figure in the fashion industry and a body positivity advocate, has been involved in several notable projects and achievements throughout her career. Some of her most famous involvements include:
- Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue: Ashley Graham made history in 2016 by being the first plus-size model to appear on the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. This was a significant milestone in her career and for the representation of diverse body types in mainstream media.
- Runway Shows: Graham has walked in numerous high-profile fashion shows, including New York Fashion Week for designers like Michael Kors and Prabal Gurung, showcasing her versatility as a model.
- Magazine Covers: Beyond Sports Illustrated, she has graced the covers of major magazines such as Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Elle, and Glamour, often using these platforms to discuss body positivity and inclusivity.
- Television Appearances: Graham has made appearances on various television shows, both as a host and a guest. She was a judge on “America’s Next Top Model” and has been featured in interviews and segments on programs like “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” and “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.”
- Design Collaborations: She has collaborated with several brands to design plus-size lingerie and swimwear collections, helping to expand the range of stylish options available to plus-size women.
- TED Talk: Graham gave a TED Talk in 2015 titled “Plus-size? More Like My Size” where she spoke about body positivity and the need for inclusivity in the fashion industry.
- Book: She authored a book titled “A New Model: What Confidence, Beauty, and Power Really Look Like,” in which she discusses her journey in the fashion industry, body positivity, and her experiences as a plus-size model.
- Advocacy and Public Speaking: Graham is known for her advocacy work in body positivity and self-acceptance. She frequently speaks at events and panels about these topics, inspiring many with her message of confidence and inclusivity.
- Social Media Influence: With a significant following on platforms like Instagram, Graham uses her influence to promote body positivity, share her personal experiences, and engage with a wide audience on issues related to beauty standards and self-esteem.
What We Do Know About Graham
What we do know is that Ashley Graham has not changed her voice about what she believe in with regards to body positivity. She wants every woman to feel empowered in their own skin regardless of size. Everybody has worth no matter what the scales says.
Ashley Graham, known for her modeling career and advocacy, holds several beliefs and values that she frequently discusses in public forums and through her work.
Some of her core beliefs include:
- Body Positivity and Self-Acceptance: Graham is a strong advocate for body positivity. She encourages people to love and accept their bodies regardless of their size or shape. She often speaks about her own journey towards self-acceptance and challenges societal standards of beauty.
- Inclusivity in Fashion: She believes in and works towards greater inclusivity in the fashion industry. Graham has been vocal about the need for fashion brands and designers to cater to all body types, not just traditional model sizes.
- Empowerment of Women: Graham often speaks on the empowerment of women. She encourages women to embrace their strength, confidence, and individuality. Her messages often focus on breaking down gender stereotypes and advocating for women’s rights and equality.
- Health at Every Size: While she promotes body positivity, Graham also emphasizes the importance of health. She advocates for a balanced approach to health and fitness, one that is not solely focused on weight or conventional standards of fitness but on overall well-being.
- Authenticity and Vulnerability: Graham frequently discusses the importance of being authentic and not shying away from showing vulnerability. She shares her own experiences, including her struggles and triumphs, to inspire others to be open and genuine.
- Mental Health Awareness: She has also been open about mental health, discussing the importance of mental well-being and the need to address and destigmatize mental health issues.
Ashley Graham’s beliefs are integral to her public persona and career, and she uses her platform to advocate for these values, aiming to inspire and make a positive impact on society, especially in the realms of fashion, body image, and women’s empowerment.
Stop Shaming Weight Loss Methods
It’s crucial to approach the subject of weight loss, whether through medications like Ozempic, weight loss surgery, or other methods, with empathy and respect. Every individual’s journey with their body and health is deeply personal and unique. The decision to use medication or undergo surgery is often made after careful consideration and consultation with healthcare professionals, especially in cases where obesity poses significant health risks. It’s important to recognize that these decisions are not made lightly and are often a part of a broader, more complex health management strategy.
The stigma and shame often associated with weight loss methods can be harmful and counterproductive. It’s essential to foster an environment where individuals feel supported and not judged for their health choices. This support is crucial for mental and emotional well-being. Public discourse around weight loss should focus on promoting health and well-being rather than adhering to specific beauty standards or body sizes. Encouraging a respectful and non-judgmental understanding of different weight loss methods helps in creating a more inclusive and supportive society.
Whether or not Ashley Graham chose to undergo weight loss surgery, or partake in Ozempic, is entirely her decision and she should have the support of her fans. She doesn’t need any criticism, or judgment. We should just show her how proud we are of her and the fact that she has been able to start reaching her weight loss goals.